Site Meter

Monday, January 15, 2007

Get Happy



















Epigrams, no one much writes epigrams in that ever so slightly stiff, schoolmaster undoing his top button J.V. Cunningham way anymore, do they?

Here's one from a new pamphlet called Eight by Five by Dante and Laforgue translator and former Agenda co-editor Peter Dale. It's called 'Dr Foster', and can I presume be hummed to the tune of 'I bargained for salvation and she gave me a lethal dose':

With his discovery of the happy pill
good Dr Foster's cured the most morose.
They say it's just the thing for every ill,
so I have taken a suicidal dose.

(Eight by Five, Rack Press, The Rack, Kinnerton, Presteigne, Powys LD8 2PF, £4)

2 comments:

Mark Granier said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Mark Granier said...

Yep, I think I prefer the less stiff (though more priapic) variety, such as Gunn's couplet:

BARREN LEAVES

Spontaneous overflows of powerful feeling:
Wet dreams, wet dreams, in libraries congealing.